How to Register Your New Company

Corporations in the USA register at the State Level, usually with the Secretary of State’s office. Before spending any money you can check most state existing company names at the office links provided below. Some states also provide state trademark filing (separately from the Federal USPTO) but most of these have fallen into non-use or irrelevance.

Many of these offices also provide special information on their websites as to how to register different types of businesses. Some even have special help for small and minority owned businesses.

NOTE: These are purely informational guidelines. For details in your particular case, please consult your lawyer, accountant or state/county office.

A full list of state offices may be found at Secretary of State Offices .

<– Back to Name and TM ®esources

Recent Naming Articles

Brand insider articles from an experienced marketing team.

Mar 2023: Pricing your naming project

Oct 2021: The devil is in the trademark details

Mar 2019:The Power and Value of a Trademark

Jan 2019:4 common branding mistakes

Oct 2018: You named it What?

Linked In

Share this page on LinkedIn:

See his industry naming commentary (where he takes a critical look at names) via the blog on this site